Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Grammar Commas! Before inside, outside, before, or after.

I know what the 'standard' is that some teachers have tried to teach us. But I prefer the commas to make sense. I believe the quoted parts should be their own sentence.

Maybe it comes from years of trying to parse natural language sentences..

Here are some examples:
[Modern] "I said one", said Johnny, "Not two."
[My way] "I said one.", said Johnny, "Not two.".
And when you have a list of items, the only logical way to separate them is one comma to each item.
Example: "I need you to pick up an apple, a pear, an orange, and a grape."
Example: "Bob and Jane, Jack and Jill, and Frank and Carol are coming to the party tonight."
An even better usage would be: "Bob & Jane, Jack & Jill, and Frank & Carol are coming to the party tonight."

Also, I think "grammar" should now be spelled "grammer". Like grey vs gray.

hehe.

No comments :